BRIAN POTH OF AUBURN CRANE AND RIGGING inspects the rebuilt mast and weather vane atop the newly refurbished Sheldon Hall cupola Nov. 12. Bob Lloyd ’81, the facilities design and construction liaison to contractors on the $10 million renovation, said the mast assembly includes some original, century-old parts. The working weather vane joins the cupola’s restored clocks.
Who better to feature in this special Sesquicentennial issue’s Faculty Hall of Fame than cover subject Oswego Founder Edward Austin Sheldon? Certainly he was among the most esteemed faculty members at the college, leaving a legacy that has touched generations (see excerpts from Sheldon’s autobiography starting on p. 18).
Sheldon Hall is surrounded by scaffolding and cranes reach up to the historic cupola on the college’s “Old Main.”
With the exception of a brief period in the 1980s, when it was removed for cleaning and repair, graduates from the 1920s and beyond can all remember one thing in common: the copper statue of founder Edward Austin Sheldon that stands in front of the building that bears his name, the college’s Old Main.
On Sept. 20, 1944, the First Lady of the United States, Eleanor Roosevelt, visited Oswego. Among those lucky enough to greet her on the steps of Old Main (now Sheldon Hall) was Betty Reid Gallik ’45, who was president of the Women’s Athletic Association.
Over the years, Oswegonians have received their diplomas in Romney Field House, Laker Hall, the Richardson Theatre downtown, and the new Campus Center convocation center.
They’ve been called “The Greatest Generation.” When duty called, they put their lives on hold to defend freedom across the world. They are the wartime classes and they are a very special part of Oswego’s history.