Veteran Services


Vets Lounge
Veterans Lounge in Hewitt Union

SUNY Oswego is dedicated to providing guidance, advice, advocacy and outreach services for our veteran and military student population, along with their spouses and dependents, to promote a successful transition to college life. Military students have a dedicated Veteran Services Coordinator and a School Certifying Official who can help navigate campus policy, procedures and requirements related to those who have served.

Ben Parker
Veteran Services Coordinator
151 Marano Campus Center
(315) 312-2270

Jennie Hoffman
VA Certifying Official
206 Culkin Hall
(315) 312-2248


  • SUNY Oswego awards up to 30 college credit for military experience through the Joint Services Transcript System.
  • Any full-time active duty servicemember stationed within New York state, as well as their dependents, are eligible for the resident tuition rate. Honorably discharged veterans, regardless of their state of residency, are also eligible for the resident tuition rate.
  • Any servicemember called to active duty during a semester is eligible for refund of tuition and fees.
  • The Lt. Col. Mike Waters, USAF (Ret.) '70 Scholarship is awarded annually to assist students needing financial assistance with preference given to veterans, particularly combat veterans.      

     MF logos
SUNY Oswego was named a Best for Vets College by Military Times for 2015,
a Military Friendly School by Military Advanced Education for 2015, 2014, and 2013,
and a Military Friendly School by G. I. Jobs for 2015 and 2014.


We are sensitive to your needs as a military student and we will work hard to assist you throughout every step of your admissions process. To apply for admission, please complete the following steps:

STEP 1: Fill out an application

Please visit to fill out the SUNY Application. If you have completed at least 12 credits since high school graduation (including military credit), please fill out the application as a transfer student.

STEP 2: Send your official transcripts

College transcripts: SUNY Oswego requires official transcripts from all institutions you have been registered at, regardless of credits earned. Please contact the Registrar's Office at your previous institutions to have official transcripts sent to the address below.

Military transcripts: Transfer credits for military experience will be awarded through American Council on Education recommendations via the Joint Services Transcript. We also accept College-Level Examination Placement credits with the appropriate test score. To request an official transcript, go to the appropriate link below.

Joint Services Transcripts may be sent electronically throught the JST request system by searching for SUNY Oswego. Please send all other transcripts to: SUNY Oswego, Office of Admissions, 229 Sheldon Hall, Oswego, NY 13126.

High School transcript: If you have completed less than 30 credit hours at the time of your application or have earned credit only through the military, you must also submit your official high school transcript. If you have 4 years of high school foreign language, you will also want to submit a high school transcript.

STEP 3: Submit necessary forms

Complete the Transfer Application Supplement to fill in the gaps in your education since high school graduation.

Submit a copy of your DD214.  If you are currently serving and a DD214 is not available, please contact the Admissions Office at (315) 312-2250 or to have that requirement removed from your application. 

*Even if you are using DoD or VA benefits to fund your education, make sure to fill out the FAFSA including the New York addendum at the end.

The Admissions Office will request any additional documentation that is needed.  Once your application is complete, you should have an official decision letter within approximately two weeks.

Campus Services

The Career Services Office offers a variety of specialized services and programs designed to support the career development activities of current students and persons applying for admission to graduate school that includes the following:

  • Career planning and self-assessment software
  • Assistance in choosing an academic major
  • Career exploration programs
  • Resume and cover letter preparation assistance
  • Workshops and mock interviews
  • Online listings of local and national jobs and related resources
  • Job fairs and recruitment events
  • Graduate school advisement and resources

145 Campus Center
(315) 312-2255

Our Cooperative Education Program (Co-op) allows students to get hands-on experience in their field of study through working in a professional environment. Students enter a partnership with the school and an employer to gain practical experience relevant to their major through full-time paid employment that lasts as long as six months. SUNY Oswego will support their endeavor with a variety of resources preparing them for interviews, showing what to expect on the job, and drawing on their workplace and classroom experience to achieve their goals.

(315) 312-3169

The resources of the Counseling Services Center are offered free to registered SUNY Oswego students. The Counseling Center staff offers individual and group counseling, as well as couples counseling when deemed appropriate after an initial consultation. You and your counselor  together will determine your goals and establish an appropriate timeframe for achieving them. Occasionally, it may be necessary for CSC to refer a client to an outside health care provider for consultation, evaluation, or treatment. The benefits of counseling may include an increased ability to cope with friends, family, relationship issues, and academic pressures. You may also gain a better understanding of yourself, which will ultimately assist you in your personal development.

113 Walker Health Center
(315) 312-4416

Our Disability Support Services office is dedicated to meeting the important support for students with special needs. The office provides support services, the availability of adaptive technologies, and other assistance required to meet the mission of helping all students succeed.

155 Campus Center
(315) 312-3358

The Financial Aid Office promotes grants, scholarships, loans and employment opportunities that may be available to students. Even though you may be eligible for VA or DoD benefits, it is wise to research all of your financial options thoroughly.

206 Culkin Hall
(315) 312-2248

Since deciding on a major is not easy, we offer workshops, events, courses, self-assessments, exploration exercises and specialized advisement that may provide the necessary knowledge and support needed in considering academic and career options. We want you to make an informed and confident decision about the major you pursue and its associated career options.

145 Campus Center
(315) 312-3142

The Office of Learning Services offers free academic tutoring services to all enrolled students at SUNY Oswego. Our three centers provide walk-in and appointment-based tutoring primarily at the 100-200 level, and selected upper division courses.

If you wish to attend tutoring, visit its schedule page for information on times and locations of walk-in and appointment tutoring.

173 Campus Center
(315) 312-2571

Community Resources

Vet Center
SUNY Oswego has established a relationship with the Watertown Vet Center to provide veterans with information on services and benefits available beyond the college campus. Numerous times a semester, VA counselors and outreach specialists will have information tables in the Campus Center and their Mobile Counseling Unit visits the academic quad multiple times a year. Watch your campus email for notifications of when they are on campus or contact Veteran Service Coordinator Ben Parker at or (315) 312 - 2270 to see when they will be here next.
Watertown Vet Center
210 Court St # 20 
Watertown, NY 13601
(315) 782-5479

For those living in the Syracuse area, there is a Vet Center off of Erie Boulevard in the city.
Syracuse Vet Center
109 Pine Street, Suite 101
Syracuse, NY 13210
(315) 478-7127 or (315) 478-7127

Oswego VA Outpatient Clinic
While the VA Medical Center is located approximately 45 minutes away in Syracuse, Oswego's east side has a VA Clinic in the Lowe's plaza. Their health care team consists of Oswego Hospital practitioners who provide primary care services at the clinic as well as routine diagnostic procedures and dietary services. Blood drawing and analysis services are available and emergency medicines can be provided.

A behavioral health care team consisting of a social worker, a psychiatrist and visiting counselors from the Syracuse VAMC provide medications, individual and group psychotherapy for veterans experiencing personal and emotional problems, including drug and alcohol problems.

Patients with specialized medical needs are treated at VA Health Care Upstate New York at Syracuse.
Oswego VA Outpatient Clinic
437 State Route 104 E
Oswego, NY 13126
(315) 207-0120

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
This department offers extensive information on all VA-related benefits and services such as health care, education, home loans, life insurance, location of facilities (including street maps), legislation, FAQs and more.
VA Regional Processing Office (VARPO)
130 South Elmwood Avenue
Buffalo, NY 14202
1 (888) 442-4551

NYS Division of Veterans Affairs
This office provides counseling and advocacy for New York State veterans and their families to ensure they receive benefits granted by law for their service to New York and the nation
Oswego County Office Complex
70 Bunner Street
Oswego, NY 13126
(315) 343- 0394
Local Rep: Corey O'Neil

Syracuse VA Medical Center
This center utilizes state-of-the-art technology to provide a full range of patient care services, education and research. The 106-bed general medical and surgical facility provides comprehensive primary care, mental health care, tertiary care, long-term care, physical medicine, rehabilitation, neurology, oncology, dentistry and geriatric services.

The Syracuse VA Medical Center also operates a Community Care Center that provides a community day program, mental health intensive case management program, homeless veteran program and vocational services.
Syracuse VA Medical Center
800 Irving Avenue
Syracuse, NY 13210
315-425-4400 | 800-792-4334

Oswego County Veterans Service Agency 

The Oswego County Veterans Service Agency provides assistance to veterans, dependents, and family members on veterans' benefits. Programs include compensation, pension, education, training, vocational rehabilitation, home loan guarantees, life insurance, burial and survivor benefits, health care and other federal benefits.
Oswego County Office Building
200 N. Second Street
Fulton, NY 13069
(315) 591-9100
Contact: Donna Kestner, Director

Easter Seals New York Military and Veteran Services
Easter Seals New York's Syracuse office operates two vocational programs in Central New York: the Homeless Veterans Reintegration Program and Vets2Jobs.  These programs follow a holistic, strengths based service model that is veteran centered to provide soft and hard skills for entry or re-entry into the work place.  Personalized services include assessment, career counseling, job readiness, resume writing, and interview instruction. Participants receive an Individualized Employment Plan with referrals to resources ensuring the veterans' ability to find, secure and maintain gainful employment. Veterans have access to peer mentors, as well as mentors from the business community to assist with re-entry, demilitarizing resumes, and assimilating into civilian work culture.
State Tower Building
109 South Warren St, Suite 311
Syracuse, NY 13202
Alexander Behm, Veterans Outreach Specialist
(315) 760-5800

VA Medical Center Military Order of the Purple Heart
The Military Order of the Purple Heart is here for all veterans. A National Accredited Service Officer can help you with VA benefits (compensation, pension, government insurance, education, GI loans, vocational rehabilitation or filing a disability claim).
800 Irving Avenue
Suite A176
Syracuse NY  13210-2796
(315) 425-4400 x54383

OEF/OIF/OND VA Medical Center services (formerly Seamless Transition Program)
The VA has set up this special program which is designed to meet the specific needs of veterans returning from Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF), Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF), and Operation New Dawn (OND). Every VA medical center has an OEF/OIF/OND Care Management Team ready to welcome these veterans and help coordinate health care. Case managers, who are either nurses or social workers, coordinate patient care activities and help veterans navigate the VA system.
Syracuse VA Medical Center
800 Irving Avenue
Syracuse, NY 13210
Lauren Love-Debeau, OEF/OIF/OND Program Manager
(315) 425-3481

Disabled American Veterans
This group provies assistance with VA disability compensation and pension claims. transportation to VA hospitals and other services.
Local office
344 W. Genesee Street 2nd Floor
Syracuse NY 13202
(315) 423-5541

Clear Path for Veterans
Clear Path empowers military members, veterans and their families through traditional and non-traditional wellness-enhancing programming delivered in a safe and family-centered environment, while integrating community-based programs and services into a holistic network of supportive resources spanning central and upstate New York.
1223 Salt Springs Road
Chittenango, NY 13037
(315) 687-3300

NYS Department of Labor - CNY Works - Local Veterans Employment Representative
As a veteran, you receive priority service in all New York State employment and training programs. Veterans' Employment Representatives, who are veterans themselves, are specifically trained to assist you in transitioning from the military, finding a new job, or starting a new career.  Services include assistance with career assessment, referral to jobs, resume preparation, information on federal-state-local civil service opportunities, job-search planning, labor-market information, information on direct appointment to Civil Service positions and referrals to other agences that provide veteran services.
CNY Works
443 North Franklin Street
Syracuse, NY 13204
Contact: Bill Burns - (315) 477-6908 or Matt Sheehan 315-477-6919
Veterans Employment Hotline: 1-800-342-3358

Veterans of Foreign Wars
The VFW's mission is to foster camaraderie among U.S. veterans of overseas conflicts; to serve veterans, the military and communities; and to advocate on behalf of all veterans. Their vision is to ensure that veterans are respected for their service, always receive their earned entitlements and are recognized for the sacrifices they and their loved ones have made on behalf of their country.
Local Post:
Lavere-Harrington Post 2320
85 E Bridge St
Oswego, NY 13126-2204
(315) 343-5047

The American Legion
The American Legion was chartered and incorporated by Congress in 1919 as a patriotic veterans' organization devoted to mutual helpfulness. The nation's largest wartime veterans' service organization, the legion is committed to mentoring youth and sponsorship of wholesome programs in its communities, advocating patriotism and honor, promoting strong national security and continued devotion to fellow servicemembers and veterans.
Local Post:
William S. Monaghan Post 268
69 W Bridge Street
Oswego, NY 13126
(315) 342-4927

Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America
IAVA is dedicated to educating the public about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, advocating on behalf of those who have served and fostering a community for troops, veterans and their families.  Membership is free.

Support Troops Network
Support Troops Network of Central New York offers counseling, advocacy, education, referral and support to active-duty service personnel and veterans, and to their families, at no cost.

After Deployment
This DoD website aims to be the pre-eminent psychological health and traumatic brain injury Web portal serving the military community. It provides media-rich, Web-based, self-care solutions targeting mental health problems (PTSD, depression, anger, sleep problems, alcohol and drugs, etc.) commonly faced following a deployment.

National Resource Directory
This online partnership helps wounded, ill and injured service members, veterans, their families and those who support them by providing access to services and resources that support recovery, rehabilitation and community reintegration.

*We do not accept unsolicited requests for inclusion on this page.


SUNY Oswego uses American Council on Education recommendations in awarding college credit for military experience through the Joint Services Transcript. Each individual recommendation is evaluated for SUNY Oswego equivalencies with credits awarded as either specific courses, subject electives, or arts and science electives. Upper division credit is also recognized. Any courses that would apply to a student's major require departmental approval. Credit is awarded upon enrollment with a maximum of 30 credits.

To request a JST, visit their website, create an account, and request an electronic copy be sent to us. The institution is listed as "State University of New York (SUNY) at Oswego."

MILITARY SCHOLARSHIP: Lt. Col. Mike Waters, USAF (Ret.) '70 Scholarship
Every year, one recipient earns this $1,000 scholarship established by Michael Waters '70 to assist working students needing financial assistance to complete their degree. To qualify for this award, a student must:
a. Be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student in good academic standing as a freshman, sophomore or junior (completed 0-86 credits by deadline)
b. Demonstrate financial need
c. Preference will be given to veterans (particularly combat veterans)
d. Preference will be given to students from Central New York

Deadline is 1 Feb. Apply at Contact the Office of Alumni Relations at (315) 312-2258 for more information.

The Veterans Lounge -- 235A Hewitt Union -- provides study and recreation space for our military students while giving an opportunity to meet and socialize with other veterans and servicemembers. It also serves as an information point where students can access veteran-specific materials relating to campus resources, education benefits, scholarships, VA benefits, community-based veterans organizations and upcoming campus and community veterans events. These materials are regularly posted or displayed in the lounge and updated as new information develops.

With our student veterans being non-traditional learners who often commute to campus, the lounge is furnished with a television, refrigerator and coffeemaker that are available for use by student veterans between classes while they study and socialize. SUNY Oswego's Veterans Club, a registered student organization and official chapter of the Student Veterans of America, also uses the lounge to host their weekly club meetings and the Veteran Services Coordinator holds weekly office hours in the lounge.

The Veterans Club, an official chapter of the Student Veterans of America, provides a friendly and engaging environment to interact with those who may share many of the same struggles, excitement, concerns or interests. The organization aims to assist veterans in any way possible both on campus and in the local communities by focusing on academic and extra-curricular engagement activities. Without the formal structure of the military, the transition from soldier to civilian or soldier to student can be difficult. The Veterans Club aims to be there to assist in this transition by providing support, resources, activities and camaraderie for our returning military men and women and their family members or significant others.

Club membership is not limited to those with a military connection. Current club members include veterans, active duty service members, guardsmen, reservists, spouses and dependents, as well as SUNY Oswego students interested in supporting those who have served. There is no formal application for club membership and participation at club meetings is encouraged.  

If you would like to get involved with the Veterans Club or have questions or suggestions, email

A matriculated student who is called up to active duty with the military or deployed for military action is eligible for a Military Leave of Absence. A Military Leave of Absence will facilitate a student's return to Oswego if the student wishes to return within one year of the date of discharge from active service or return from deployment.

To obtain a Military Leave of Absence, students must submit a copy of their military orders along with an College Withdrawal Form to COMPASS, the student advisement center. When discharged from active duty or back from assignment, a student can register at Oswego by contacting the Registrar's Office, 301 Culkin Hall, and declaring their intention to return. Documentation of discharge or reassignment will be required. Students returning from Military Leave of Absence will be permitted to participate in the advance registration period with other students with similar class standing as determined by number of credit hours earned. Students who will be unable to register during the advanced registration period for the semester they will be returning due to their military obligations should contact Veteran Services Coordinator Ben Parker for assistance.

Students who are granted a Military Leave of Absence but do not register for classes within one year of the date of discharge or reassignment must file an Application for Readmission with the Registrar's Office in order to re-enroll. If a student is absent from campus for more than two academic years, changes to degree requirements may apply.

In recognition of their military service, all graduating SUNY Oswego veterans and servicemembers receive a red, white and blue honors cord to wear at their commencement ceremony. Cords are free of charge and can be picked up in the month preceding commencement from the Veteran Services Coordinator in 151 Campus Center. Military service will be verified.

For additional information, please contact Veteran Services Coordinator Ben Parker at (315) 312-2270 or
SUNY Oswego accepts Military Tuition Assistance from the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard. Education counselors from each service branch can provide information on the criteria for eligibility and once established, we can assist in the process of getting your tuition assistance authorized. This involves creating a student agreement outlining your degree plan and the transfer credits awarded, submitting the courses, dates and charges prior to the start of a given semester, then inputting grades once received. Since we are a Non-Letter of Instruction school, these steps will be completed on an individual basis.

Please contact our Veteran Services Coordinator Ben Parker (151 Campus Center, (315) 312-2270, or or our Student Accounts POC Lisa Vinciguerra  (408 Culkin Hall, (315) 312-2225, or for more information or assistance.

Additional Tuition Assistance information for each service can be found at the appropriate links below.