Congratulations on your acceptance to SUNY Oswego! We here at the International Student and Scholar Services Office (ISSS) look forward to welcoming you to our beautiful campus. Please take a moment to review the information below, as this will help you to prepare for your arrival to SUNY Oswego.

What are the next steps?

1. Complete the Required Steps

The overview of pre-registration steps is well outlined on the Your Next Steps webpage by the Office of New Student Orientation. International students will also receive reminders from us regarding the completion of pre-registration steps. Please note that new students can start registering for classes only when they complete the pre-registration steps. Therefore, new students are highly encouraged to start completing the pre-registration steps as early as possible. 

2. Schedule and Prepare Your Visa Interview

In most cases, you will need to schedule an interview with the United States Embassy or Consulate in order to be granted your F-1 or J-1 student visa. Please review a list of documents that you need to bring for your F-1/ J-1 visa interview.

For a comprehensive list of tips and advice about applying for your student visa, please take a look at this information sheet modified from the National Association for Foreign Students Advisors (NAFSA): 10 Points to Remember When Applying for a Non-Immigrant Visa.

3. Register for Classes

All undergraduate students have to be registered for a minimum of 12 credit hours (9 credit hours for graduate students) in order to maintain status as a full-time student. Once registering for classes, you are strongly advised NOT to drop below the minimum credit hours, EVEN if you drop one class because you plan on registering for another. General advice regarding course registration can be found on the Registrar's Office website.

There are certain steps you will have to complete before being able to register for your classes. This process is different for F-1 and J-1 students:

Course registration for F-1 students

  • As an F-1 student (to include first-year and transfer students), you will be pre-registered for all of your classes by a team of advisors. You cannot be pre-registered until you have completed all the steps on the portal. If you are not satisfied with your course schedule after you have been pre-registered, don't panic! You can meet with your advisor after your arrival to campus and he or she will help you adjust your schedule, if necessary.

Course registration for J-1 students

  • J-1 students can register themselves for classes only after they have completed the steps in their portals. To learn how to register for classes, please click here. As the last cohort of students to be able to register, it is especially important that J-1 students complete these steps as soon as possible so they are not locked out of any classes.
  • Failed to register for classes or unsatisfied? Please click here and learn how to resolve registration errors.
  • A list of tips and advice for course registration for J-1 students is available here: Course registration FAQs for J-1 students
4. Prepare Your Arrival to the United States

The International Student and Scholar Services Office also holds live, virtual chats (called "webinars") on preparing for your arrival to the United States. These are held a few weeks prior to your arrival. So, be sure to check your email inbox for an invitation to an upcoming session!

Do you need some packing ideas? Please check out FAQs-What to bring (and not to bring) to campus and What to bring webpages by the Office of Residence Life and Housing. Here is a packing list for incoming international students as well. You can also purchase items after you arrive at Oswego from these retail stores and websites.

Syracuse campus students- please utilize this resource to find off-campus housing. 

Here are the documents you need to bring to enter the United States:

  • A physical (printed) copy of your Form I-20 or DS-2019. 
  • Passport (valid at least 6 months into the future)
  • Valid student visa. 
  • SEVIS I-901 fee. If you do not have a copy of your receipt then you can print one at
  • Proof of financial support that you submitted for the Form I-20 issuance
  • Your acceptance letter 

Canadian students

The official U.S. Embassy & Consulates in Canada online webpage says "Canadian citizens do not need visas to study or participate in an exchange program in the U.S. ... When crossing the border to begin their study or exchange program in the United States, the student will need to provide the Officer at the port of entry:

  • A Canadian passport;
  • The original I-20 (or DS-2019) certificate;
  • Proof that the SEVIS fee has been paid;
  • Proof of ability to pay school fees and living expenses in the United States; and
  • Proof of ties to Canada
5. Arrive to Campus

The closest airport from the campus is Syracuse Hancock International Airport. When you purchase the flight ticket, double check the airport code which is "SYR". 

We strongly suggest that you schedule your arrivals into Syracuse for no later than 8:00 PM on the arrival day. If things happen and you arrive after 8:00 PM, we recommend staying a night at the hotel near the airport. For your reference, click hotel options near the SYR airport as well as hotel options near the campus

From the airport to the campus, The airport provides some recommended taxi and ride-sharing services.

6. Attend the International Student Orientation

All incoming international students are required to attend New International Student Orientation prior to the start of classes. Due to public safety issues, Online Orientation modules are provided to students which touch upon the following:

  • Immigration Regulations: Rights & Responsibilities
  • Residence Life and Housing Rules 
  • Academic Rules and Regulations
  • Health Services
  • Law and Order
7. When and how to pay your student bill

Here are some of the frequently asked questions that international students have regarding their student bills:

  1. How can I view my student bill? SUNY Oswego's Office of Student Accounts website outlines how to view and pay your bill.
  2. When should I pay my student bill? Please note that student bills should be paid by the 16th of January (for Spring terms)/August (for Fall terms) as you can see on the Office of Student Accounts webpage. F-1 visa holders are permitted to enroll in a payment plan, instructions to do so can be found on the Student Accounts website. J-1 visa holders must pay their bills in full and are not eligible to enroll in a payment plan. 
  3. I would like to pay my student bill via international wire/bank transfer, what is SUNY Oswego's bank account number? Students interested in paying by international wire or bank transfer should use a third-party service called Flywire. Instructions to pay your student bill using Flywire can be found on the Student Accounts website in the "International wire transfer" section. 
  4. Why are there unknown charges on my student bill? Please reach out to the Office of Student Accounts at if you have any questions regarding your student bill. 

Upcoming Events

Frequently Asked Questions

Are you a first time attending student? Here are questions you might be wondering. We also recommend browsing all the questions and read them thoroughly as you will have a better understanding in the area where other international students have been wondering. 

What do I need to bring to campus? Where to buy textbooks?

Residence Life and Housing offers the list of Things for you to bring and Things for you and your roommate to discuss. Acoording to them, you will need to bring your own pillow, pillowcases, sheets, blankets, bedspread, mattress pad, towels and washcloths. All SUNY Oswego residence hall mattresses require “extra long” twin sheets (33 1/2” x 80” x 6 1/2" or 36” x 80” x 6 1/2”).

ISSS also provides a Packing list for incoming international students. From the items that you cannot find in your home country or items that are cheaper in US to textbooks, this list of retail stores and websites will guide you where to buy things.

(J-1 students) I cannot register classes

For J-1 students, there can be instances where your account is on hold or you cannot register desired classes beacuse of pre-requisite courses. Check out our Course Registration Questinos for J-1 Students to see how to resolve it. Even if you cannot resolve it, don't worry, your academic advisor will assist you during the Orientation. What you need to do is bring a list of courses you would like to take including the course number, title and time.  

How can I see my bill?

You should be able to see your bill online at Myoswego.
Please follow the steps in order to view/save your invoice.

1. Log in to Myoswego (click single sign-on) 
2. Go to Financial Services tab
3. Click View/Pay Account
4. Click View or View all to pull up the invoice of your desired term.

If you have any inquiry regarding your bill, contact

What are acceptable forms of payment?

SUNY Oswego accepts Cash, Check, Credit Card (MasterCard, Visa, Discover, American Express) and international wire transfer. Check out the Payment Options page to see the entire list of available payment options.

If you have any inquiry regarding your payment options, contact

I need an enrollment verification

Enrollment verifications are free if accessed through myOswego, but are also available at for a small charge. If you are a newly admitted student and you have not started classes yet you will need to contact Admissions to receive enrollment verification. You can email them at or call 315.312.2250.

Detailed instruction can be found from the Office of Registrar webpage. 

How can I change my meal plans?

You need to fill out the form and submit it before the deadline. 

I need to defer my admission to the next term

If you are adimmitted but willing to attend the next term, you need to fill out this Application Update form. You will still be eligible for granted scholarships. Please note that you can defer only one semester. If you would like to defer the second time, you need to go through re-admission process. 

I need to apply for re-admission

Matriculated undergraduates who have missed a semester (or more) of study at Oswego must complete the Readmission Form. Your eligibility for the scholarship will be reviewed again.

I need to know my mailing address

Go to the Mailroom webpage to find the mailing address for your dorm as well as the student address format. If you live in Hart Hall 101, it will be 15 Union Rd  #101, Oswego, NY, 13126.

What are required immunizations?

Required and recommended immunizations are well listed on the Mary Walker Health Center page. 

Where can I buy SIM card?

CampusSIMS, in partnership with Mint Mobile, is excited to offer international students in the U.S. an exclusive 1 month of FREE wireless service to help them stay connected. Here's what you need to know:

Key Benefits:

  1. Immediate Connectivity: Get a U.S. phone number as soon as you arrive on campus, eliminating the need to leave campus for phone service.

  2. Affordable Plans: Enjoy contract-free plans that start at just $15/month.

  3. Comprehensive Coverage: Access high-speed data and enjoy unlimited talk and text on the largest nationwide network.

  4. Free 1 Month of Service: Receive a complimentary month of service with 5GB of data to kickstart your communication.

Claiming Your Free Month:

  • Location: Pick up your free month of service at the during the orientation.

  • Activation: Ensure you have an unlocked 4G LTE and VoLTE-friendly phone. Visit or download the Mint Mobile app from the App Store or Google Play Store.

  • Enter ACT Code: Use the ACT code found on the back of your SIM card during activation.

Service Details:

Your free month of wireless service includes:

  • 5GB of 4G • 5G LTE data
  • Unlimited talk & text
  • Free mobile hotspot
  • WiFi calling & text

Next Steps:

After your initial free month, easily renew onto any of these plans:

  • 3, 6, or 12-month durations
  • Choose from 5GB, 15GB, 20GB, or Unlimited data options

Contact and Support:

For further assistance, contact the campusSIMS Care team at 1-800-683-7392 or use the chat function at


301 Washington Blvd
Suite: #116 Sheldon Hall
Oswego, NY 13126

Phone: 315.312.5775
Fax: 315.312.2447