SUNY Oswego also offers plenty of exchange opportunities through the college's over 60 different partner instiutions. These students typically stay at the college for only one or two semesters. 


Applications should be complete and received by the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) Office by:

  • April 15 for the Fall/August semester.
  • October 15 for the Spring/January semester. 

English Requirement

Students who are not native in English or whose degrees at the home universities are not instructed entirely in English must provide minimum English proficiency scores of either 72 TOEFL iBT, 6.0 IELTS, or B2 on the Cambridge English Scale. Minimum English proficiency scores for Master's level exchange students are 79 TOEFL, 6.5 IELTS, or C1 on the Cambridge English ScaleSUNY Oswego only accepts English proficiency scores that were taken within two years of the submission date.

Start Your Application

Only nominated students should complete the following applications by the deadline. To be nominated, please reach out to your home university. 

Important: Once you have completed and sent your Exchange application, you will need to complete your Health History Form and submit your Immunizations via SUNY Oswego's online Patient Portal in order to finalize your application. Learn more about required forms from the Health Services

If necessary, application materials may alternatively be mailed directly to the International Student and Scholar Services Office at:

102 Sheldon Hall
SUNY Oswego,
Oswego, NY, 13126, USA

Frequently Asked Questions

Here we have gathered immigration related questions as well as campus living topics for J-1 visa holders. 

When does the semester starts/ends?

Calendar dates for current and upcoming semesters can be found from the College calendar page. The semester begin date is written as Instruction begins and the end date is end of student teaching.

How can I prove my English proficiency?


Minimum Score

Cambridge English Scale C1

Additional scores may be considered on a case-by-case basis; please view this document for a complete list of English proficiency scores that are currently accepted for admission to the university. Please note that conditional admissions is not available for exchange students.

(J-1 students) I cannot register classes

For J-1 students, there can be instances where your account is on hold or you cannot register desired classes beacuse of pre-requisite courses. Don't worry, your academic advisor will assist you during the Orientation. What you need to do is bring a list of courses you would like to take including the course number, title and time.  

What do I need to bring to campus? Where to buy textbooks?

Residence Life and Housing offers the list of Things for you to bring and Things for you and your roommate to discuss. ISSS also provides a Packing list for incoming international students. From the items that you cannot find in your home country or items that are cheaper in US to textbooks, this list of retail stores and websites will guide you where to buy things.

How can I change my meal plans?

You need to fill out the form and submit it before the deadline. 

How can I see my bill?

You should be able to see your bill online at Myoswego.
Please follow the steps in order to view/save your invoice.

1. Log in to Myoswego (click single sign-on) 
2. Go to Financial Services tab
3. Click View/Pay Account
4. Click View or View all to pull up the invoice of your desired term

If you have any inquiry regarding your bill, contact

What are acceptable forms of payment?

SUNY Oswego accepts Cash, Check, Credit Card (MasterCard, Visa, Discover, American Express) and international wire transfer. Check out the Payment Options page to see the entire list of available payment options.

If you have any inquiry regarding your payment options, contact

Can I work on campus?

Yes, you can work on-campus for up to 20 hours per week. Check out openings as well as application process.
Please note in order for you to be paid, you need a Social Security Number (SSN). Therefore, once you got a job, please bring an Employment Verification letter to our office, 102 Sheldon Hall during walk-in hours. We will assist you how to apply for SSN. 

How can I apply for SSN?

Once you are hired, ask your on-campus employer for the Employment Verification Letter. Bring the letter to our office at 102 Sheldon Hall during walk-in hours (Monday to Friday, 1:30 PM to 4:30 PM). From there we will provide you the ISSS Office letter as well as the instruction of applying for Social Security Number. Please note that you can work without SSN, but you will not be paid until you have SSN. 

I want to travel to Canada, what do I need to carry?

Find out if you need a visa page will help you to find out if you need a visa to enter Canada. Contact us at, if you are required to submit any document that needs to be issued by our office.